Saturday, December 1, 2018

How I Studied for the ASWB LCSW exam

Although time running out was a motivating factor for taking both the California Law & Ethics exam and the ASWB LCSW exam, I went about the experiences differently.  After failing the Law & Ethics by one point the first time, I knew I couldn’t do a rush job and be ill prepared for the ASWB exam.  I knew I had to study harder and study better.

It’s hard for many people to find time to study for the LCSW exams, because we’re often working and/or also caring for family members.  In my case I was working part-time and being the primary caregiver for our two young sons.  The older one was in a part-time afternoon preschool and I started to worry that the younger one was going to drop his nap – so I definitely started to make purposeful plans to study during that chunk of time when they were occupied at preschool or napping.

As the exam got to be about a month away, I also had designated study time at home on certain Saturdays, while my husband had solo time with our two sons.  I made sure to have noise-canceling headphones so I could focus and wouldn’t be distracted by noise if they were home.

I again utilized the Social Work Test Prep practice exams.  I knew I would not really study if studying meant reading chapters and articles from somewhere.  I thought practice exams would work better for me—and I was right.

Since learning my lesson about how I improperly studied for the Law & Ethics CA exam using practice exams before, I used the Social Work Test Prep practice exam really differently this time. I utilized the SWTP practice test questions rationales.

The rationales are important. The rationales provide reasons why these three options are wrong, a reason why this one option is correct, and further information on the topic. 

I combed through my own notes and the SWTP rationales from the general practice tests.  While doing so I wrote down by hand the details, definitions, and concepts that I didn’t 100% know.  Then I went through and I typed these up.  I found that the process of doing this twice – once by hand and once typing – helped really get the concept into my brain.  I printed out the typed concepts and reviewed my document several times while studying.

In addition to taking the SWTP practice exams and really utilizing the rationales this time around, I also printed out certain documents (for example, names and categories of medication) and hung them up in the bathroom so I would look at it as I brushed my teeth.  I did the same thing with DSM diagnoses that are frequently confused with each other.

Come back tomorrow for a few more tips and my last blog post on the experience!


2 comments:

  1. Hey Kate, this was really helpful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspiring! I owe my thanks to VaultechServices for helping me attain 105 in my LMSW points on my third attempt. I'm poor with reading so i had to use their strategy. Email them on vaultechservices(at)outlook. com

    ReplyDelete