Wednesday, June 11, 2014

What should I be studying?

My next step (and probably your next step, too, if you are at the beginning stages of studying like I am) is to figure out exactly what to study and how to study it. I have learned about what the Social Work Licensing Exam is and how to register to take it (although I haven’t registered yet). Now, I need to figure out what is on the test, what to study, and where to find study materials.

According to the aswb.org Candidate Handbook, there are four different types of Social Work Licensing Exams (bachelors, masters, advanced generalist, and clinical). First, you need to know which type of exam you need to take. In my case, I need to take the Clinical exam.

The clinical exam covers the following categories:
Human Development, Diversity, and Behavior in the Environment
  • Assessment, Diagnosis, and Treatment Planning
  • Psychotherapy, Clinical Interventions, and Case Management
  • Professional Ethics and Values
To learn more about the categories on the clinical or any other exam go to aswb.org. You can find out the sub-topics in each category and the percentage of how often that category is found on the test.

You will likely notice that you have taken courses related to many of the sub-categories and main categories. You will also find that any internships or work experience that you have had will help you in understanding the topics covered.

No comments:

Post a Comment